Requiem for Reality

Political, hypothetical, existential, hypocritical, technological, philosophical, and musical. Or so I've been told.

Where to begin?

After I finished my FINALS yesterday I decided I was going to go pick up a new video game to reward myself. Lately everyone has been jumpin' on the couch over the latest FPS clone, Modern Warfare 2. I however do not typically enjoy those types of games. I may purchase it, so that I have something to do with others, but I feel as though if I do I am encouraging the gaming industry to continue to saturate the market with these types of atrocities.

So as I stand there in Gamestop contemplating become another average gamer, playing the traditional westernized games, that are just like all of the others, I decided I was going to zig. It's not like me to get sandbox style RPG's. In fact, I'm so into console linear RPG's that I thought FFXII was too sandbox for me. Additionally that whole auto-pilot "gambit" thing was rather useless and I feel as though it took the connection out of the game. To me it wasn't personal anymore. Or not like I was playing a story, but just kinda running around doing stuff.

So I decided to try out Dragon Age: Origins (DAO). Now the guy at Gamestop told me that DAO wasn't a "sandbox" rpg and that it was very linear. There are certainly linear aspects to the game. Go here, do this, kinda stuff, but it's still very sand boxish. There are packs of DLC so that you can continue on with your adventure.

Now, to be fair Wikipedia calls the came a computer-style rpg. That is very true. It reminds me of the old ways of creating a character in games like ultima and the like. It seems like a very solid game. Large expansinve areas to explore if you like that sort of thing.

I suppose the biggest reason I picked this game up is because, I know that the future installments of FF are going to be done in this matter. Gone are the days of the turn based battles. Gone are the days of running around on the maps. It's all realistic now. For me...and I may be in the minority here, but I liked the fantasy aspect of RPG's. There was more room for the imagniation. Don't get me wrong I like the visuals, but I feel like these types of games are more made for the RPGer that doesn't want to think. There is hardly any tactical strategy involed. Then again I suppose that the same could be said about console, turn based RPGS. Hmm...well I'm gonna give it some more plays this weekend and see how I dig it. Now that I'm all graduated and stuff, I got more free time to do what ever the freak I want!

WOOOT!

0 comments: