Requiem for Reality

Political, hypothetical, existential, hypocritical, technological, philosophical, and musical. Or so I've been told.

Current Mood: Must sleep
Listening to: Nurses complain

So I recently graduated from MSU with my BA in Psychology. As most people know, there isn't much anyone can do with that degree. I've been wrestling with what to do now. My grades are...decent. Though because I transferred from a 2 year institution my undergrad grades are represented by the last 2 years I spent at MSU. So while I finished on the Dean's list the last 3 semesters, I still only have a 3.2 gpa.

So I appied to grad school to get a clinical social work degree. I'm not sure if I actually have a passion for kids or not or families for that matter. I do know that I want to help people.

The thing is, if I get into grad school it's 2 years before I graduate and can get a better job to pay off my bills. Then if I want to get a clinical psych degree (doctorate level) its another 2-3 years. But if I decide I want to do forensic psychology and not work with any of those demographics, and get paid a bit more, it would take what looks like 2 years on top of the previous years. Projecting me to graduate and start working at 32-34 before I am in a career of my choice.

However, if I decide I want to go the psychiatry route, I would need to take some post bacc courses. Namely orgo, in organic chem, bio, and physics. Then I would need to take the MCAT. After that's all said and done, if I get in, I would need to do about 4 years med-school. Then 2 years residency. I would be an official doctor at that point but...heavily in debt I'm sure. That projects me out of school and in a career at 36 or so.

For me, just to be clear, it's not about the title or prestige, sort of. I do like the respect that comes with being a doctor. I would technically be a "doctor" if I went the psychology route, but not an actual doctor. However, going the psychology route I could be done earlier and be in less debt. I just wish there was a guide telling me which way to go. I have a number of options, and Ive never really been given a choice in my life decisions...it has almost always been do or die for me.

I must meditate.....

0 comments: